Jenna: Pineapple Upside Down Pie?
*Legs in the air*
Dr. Pomatter: Your hormone levels are rising beeeeautifully Mrs. Hunterson....
There were a few issues with my crust edges baking off, so I've altered the recipe to make those corrections!
"Pineapple Upside Down Pie: Slices of round pineapples, bright red maraschino cherries caramelized in butter and brown sugar, baked into a vanilla cake, with a truly flaky crust baked right on top. Flipped over to turn upside down! Garnished with maraschino cherries on top. With the stem!"
Recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Pie
-1 truly flaky crust (single)
-2 TBSPN butter
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-4 slices canned pineapple slices (1 whole, 3 cut into halves)
-5 maraschino cherries (cut in halves or thirds)
-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
-1 TSPN baking powder
-1/8 TSPN salt
-3 TBSPN vegetable shortening (or butter)
-1/3 cup granulated sugar
-1/2 TSPN vanilla extract
-1/3 cup of whole milk
- Melt 2 TBSPN butter into your pie pan directly over very low heat. Be careful when taking off the stove (wear mits!)
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the butter while butter is still warm.
- Lay pineapple slices in a circular pattern, which whole slice in the middle, and half slices around. Place cherry slices to fill in the gaps of the pineapples. Set aside.
- To assemble the cake batter, whip shortening and sugar together until blended, add egg, then add milk and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt (sifted together of course) to the batter.
- Pour cake batter over the fruit, being careful as to not mix the fruit. Smooth over top.
- Lay truly flaky pie crust over the cake batter and crimp edges.
- Bake at 400F for 10 mins, then reduce heat to 350F for another 15-25. You'll know the cake is down when you insert a toothpick into the middle of the pie and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Place a large plate over the top of the pie, and flip everything over carefully. Let the pie pan stay in place over the cake for 10 mins, then remove the pie pan slowly, to reveal your Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
- SUGAR. BUTTER. FLOUR.