Isn't it amazing, what comes our way!
"Polka-dot peach pie: Fresh, ripe peaches with a touch of almond extract and plenty o' sugar, baked in a truly flaky crust. Dotted with butter and polka-dot crust cut-outs on top." Peachy perfection!
Take your ripe yellow peaches...
...and peel and pit them, and slice them into thick wedges.
Mix with sugar, tapioca, and almond extract.
Prepare your truly flaky crust.
Use a biscuit cutter to cut polka-dots out of your second crust.
Dot with butter.
Lay polka-dots atop the peaches and butter...
...and bake to perfection!
Recipe for Polka Dot Peach Pie
-1 truly flaky crust (double)
-1 1/2 LBS or 5 ripe, but firm yellow peaches
-1/2 cup o' sugar
-3 TBSPN tapioca starch
-1 TSPN almond extract
-1 TBSPN crust dust (1/2 part flour, 1/2 part sugar)
-1 TSPN minute tapioca
-1 TBSPN cubed butter
-egg white wash
-course white sugar
+Extra equipment: small round biscuit cutter
- Assemble your truly flaky crust into a pie shell, crimp edges, place in fridge.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel and pit your peaches, slice into wedges (about 10 wedges per peach, or 1/2-3/4 in thick). *You can poach pears and peel skins that way if you prefer*
- In a large bowl, combine sliced peaches with: 1/2 cup o' sugar, 3 TBSPN tapioca starch, and 1 TSPN almond extract.
- Roll out your second truly flaky crust, and cut small circular shapes using biscuit cutter. Polka-dots do not need to overlap, so you will only use about 1/2 the crust.
- Take truly flaky crust out of fridge, and sprinkle 1 TBSPN crust dust and 1 TSPN minute tapioca over prepared crust.
- Place peaches and their juices into truly flaky crust. Dot with 1 TBSPN cubed butter.
- Decorate top of peaches with polka dot crust cut-outs.
- Brush edges of pie and polka dot cut-outs with egg white wash, and sprinkle cut-outs with coarse white sugar.
- Bake at 425F for 20 minutes, then reduce to 375F. Cook until peaches and juice bubble and the polka dot cut outs are nicely browned (total time: 50-60mins). *If you notice your edges are browning too fast, take out mid-bake and cover edges with foil or silicone crust protector.
- Let cool and sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours before slicing!
- SUGAR. BUTTER. FLOUR!