One from the A.R.T./Preview Pie Board... Big Guy Strawberry Pie... It's pure, simple, easy to bake, and filled with sweet juicy strawberries. Bake this and take this to your next summer picnic. Everyone will thank you for it. Promise.
"Big, whole, juicy strawberries, with plenty o' sugar, baked into a truly flaky double crust."
Add sugar, tapioca starch, lemon zest and juice.
Sprinkle bottom of your first pie crust with crust dust and minute tapioca.
Fill your first crust with prepared strawberries...
...and dot with butter.
I wanted a little bit of color to peak out...
...crimp the edges...
...till it looks like this! (Brush with egg-white wash and sprinkle with sugar.)
Bake to perfection!
Bring to the nearest and soonest picnic, and share if you dare!
Big Guy Strawberry Pie
-1 truly flaky crust (double)
-2 LBS (6-8 cups) fresh strawberries
-1/2 cup o' sugar
-1/2 TSPN lemon zest (zest of 1/2 a lemon)
-1 TSPN lemon juice (juice of 1/2 a lemon)
-5 TBSPN tapioca starch
-1 TBSPN crust dust (1/2 part flour, 1/2 part sugar)
-1 TSPN minute tapioca
-1 TBSPN cubed butter
-egg white wash
-course white sugar
+Extra equipment: small metal frosting tip, or small cookie cutter
- Assemble your truly flaky crust into a pie shell, crimp edges, place in fridge.
- Wash your strawberries and cut stems off, leave small strawberries whole, and cut the larger ones in half.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries with: 1/2 cup o' sugar, 5 TBSPN tapioca starch, 1/2 TSPN lemon zest, and 1 TSPN lemon juice. Set aside.
- Roll out your second truly flaky crust, and cut small circular shapes using metal frosting tip, or small cookie cutter.
- Take truly flaky crust out of fridge, and sprinkle 1 TBSPN crust dust and 1 TSPN minute tapioca over prepared crust.
- Place strawberries and their juices into truly flaky crust. Dot with 1 TBSPN cold cubed butter.
- Place second crust over pie pan and press down along crust seam to help seal in juices. Once sealed, crimp the edges.
- Brush top of pie with egg white wash, and sprinkle with coarse white sugar.
- Bake at 425F for 20 minutes, then reduce to 375F. Cook until strawberries and juice bubble and top crust is nicely browned (total time: 50-60mins). *If you notice your edges are browning too fast, take out mid-bake and cover edges with foil or silicone crust protector.
- Let cool and sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours before slicing!
- SUGAR. BUTTER. FLOUR!