Something special this week! Beautiful: The Carole King Musical Tour is in town, and I thought it would be fun to make the cast some pies in a jar, inspired by the Waitress pies you get in the theater!
Recipe for You're Beautiful Blueberry Pear Crumble Pie (in a jar!)
-1 truly flaky crust (single, will have some crust left over)
-5 ripe but firm Barlett or D'Anjou pears
-1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries
-1/3 cup o' sugar
-1/2 TSPN lemon zest (zest of 1/2 a lemon)
-1 TSPN lemon juice (juice of 1/2 a lemon)
-1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup oats (quick cook, not instant)
-1/2 stick melted and cooled butter
-1/8 TSPN baking soda
-1/8 TSPN baking powder
-1/4 TSPN salt
+Extra equipment: small cookie cutter
- Peel pears and cut into small 1/2 inch pieces, combine with blueberries.
- Add 1/3 cup of sugar, 1/2 TSPN lemon zest (zest of 1/2 a lemon), 1 TSPN lemon juice (juice of 1/2 a lemon), and 1/4 cup cornstarch, and fold the mixture together.
- Set mixture set aside.
- Combine chopped pecans, chopped walnuts, brown sugar, flour, oats, melted butter, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Combine with your hands until mixture is crumbly.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of fruit mixture into each jar, or until it's 3/4 way full.
- Put 2 TBSPN crumble on top of the fruit.
- Cut shapes with the mini cookie cutter from the pie crust, and place on top of crumble.
- Bake at 375F for 25-35 mins, or until fruit becomes bubbly.
- Let cool before serving.
- SUGAR, BUTTER, FLOUR!