This pie is as classic as savory pies get, yet it's pretty complex and has lots of moving parts. It's a little time consuming, but without a doubt worth the time. The different ingredients and layers in this pie are delicious, and I'm certain that this is a dinner favorite among Joe's Pie diners. This recipe uses lots of different veggies and requires some multi-tasting! You'll be running back and forth from your meat mixture to your mashed potato mixture until time for final pie assembly!
Recipe for Lost Shepherd's Pie
(Adapted from Alton Brown's Shepherd's Pie)
For the potatoes:
-4 medium russet potatoes
-1/4 cup half-and-half
-2 TBSPN butter
-3/4 TSPN kosher salt
-1/4 TSPN freshly ground black pepper
-1 egg yolk
For the lamb filling:
-2 TBSPN olive oil
-1 small/medium onion (chopped)
-2 carrots (chopped)
-2 cloves garlic (minced)
-1 LB. ground lamb
-1 TSPN salt
-1/2 TSPN freshly ground black pepper
-2 TBSPN flour
-2 TBSPN tomato paste
-1 cup chicken broth
-1 TSPN Worcestershire sauce
-2 TSPN freshly chopped rosemary
-1 TSPN freshly chopped thyme
-1/2 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
-1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- Peel 4 medium potatoes and chop into 2-inch pieces. Boil potatoes in a big pot o’ salted water until potatoes are cooked through.
- Strain potatoes and add 1/4 cup half-and-half, 2 TBSPN butter, 3/4 TSPN kosher salt, 1/4 TSPN freshly ground black pepper, and 1 egg yolk to the potatoes and mix with a hand mixer until creamy. Set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, saute chopped onion, carrots, and minced garlic in 2 TBSPN olive oil, saute for 15-20 mins, or until veggies have softened.
- Add 1 LB. ground lamb and season 1 TSPN salt and 1/2 TSPN freshly ground black pepper. Break up meat until cooked through.
- Once lamb has cooked through, add 2 TBSPN flour, 2 TBSPN tomato paste, 1 cup chicken broth, and 1 TSPN Worcestershire sauce. Mix together and cook for another 5-7 mins until mixture thickens.
- Add peas, corn, rosemary, and thyme to lamb mixture and pour into a glass, deep dish pie pan.
- Dollop and smooth mashed potato mixture over meat mixture, and bake in pre-heated 400F oven for 25-35 mins, until meat mixture is bubbling and top of pie is starting to brown at edges.
- Let cool for 10-15 mins before slicing!
- SUGAR. BUTTER, FLOUR!