Dr. Pomatter: Did you make the marshmallow pie that you gave me?
Jenna: Yes I did. Mermaid Marshmallow. I invented it with my mama when I was 9 years old, in my mermaid phase.
Dr. Pomatter: That was probably the best pie that I've tasted in my entire life. No seriously. It was BIBLICALLY good. That's how good it was. That pie would win contests, and ribbons... and things... It only taste a taste!
Here it is! The BIBLICALLY good pie that made Dr. Pomatter fall for Jenna at first taste: "Marshmallow Mermaid Pie: Truly flaky crust, filled with a pillow of gorgeous marshmallow puddin', and a layer of freshly whipped coconut cream. Topped with pink and green mini marshmallows and sweetened shredded coconut."
Recipe for Marshmallow Mermaid Pie ("AKA Mermaid Marshmallow")
-1 truly flaky crust (single)
-2 egg whites at room temperature
-1 TSPN gelatin powder (1/2 packet Knox unflavored)
-1/4 cup water
-4-5 drops of green food coloring
-1/2 cup granulated sugar + 1 TBSPN
-1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
-1 TSPN coconut extract
-FUNmallows (small colored marshmallows-can color your own!)
-shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- Assemble your truly flaky crust into a pie shell, crimp edges
- Cover bottom and sides of crust with parchment or foil, add pie weights or dry kidney beans, and blind bake for 30-40 mins at 400F until edges are golden brown and crust is fully baked through.
- Soak1 TSPN gelatin powder in 1/4 cup water for 10 mins, then dissolve until mixture is clear, over a double boiler. Let cool and set aside.
- To make marshmallow pudding: In a stand mixer (MUST be a stand mixer-hand mixer does not whip fast enough), start to whip egg whites on a low speed, and slowly increase speed to high. When stiff peaks form, add granulated sugar, 1 TBSPN at a time until sugar is incorporated (at med-high speed). On high speed, slowly pour in warm gelatin liquid mixture. Then add green food coloring until you get your desired shade of mermaid green! Set aside.
- To make coconut whipped cream: Whip 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream and 1 TSPN coconut extract until it forms into whipped cream. Set aside.
- Once crust is cool, spread marshmallow pudding into crust, then put pie in fridge for 20 mins to allow pudding to set in pie shell.
- Remove from fridge and spread whipped cream on top. Decorate with mini Funmallows (I picked out the green and red ones ;), and shredded coconut. Let sit in fridge for 1 more hour before slicing!
- SUGAR. BUTTER. FLOUR.