Isn't it amazing, what comes our way!
Recipe for Polka Dot Peach Pie
-1 truly flaky crust (double)
-1 1/2 LBS or 5 ripe, but firm yellow peaches
-1/2 cup o' sugar
-3 TBSPN tapioca starch
-1 TSPN almond extract
-1 TBSPN crust dust (1/2 part flour, 1/2 part sugar)
-1 TSPN minute tapioca
-1 TBSPN cubed butter
-egg white wash
-course white sugar
+Extra equipment: small round biscuit cutter
- Assemble your truly flaky crust into a pie shell, crimp edges, place in fridge.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel and pit your peaches, slice into wedges (about 10 wedges per peach, or 1/2-3/4 in thick). *You can poach pears and peel skins that way if you prefer*
- In a large bowl, combine sliced peaches with: 1/2 cup o' sugar, 3 TBSPN tapioca starch, and 1 TSPN almond extract.
- Roll out your second truly flaky crust, and cut small circular shapes using biscuit cutter. Polka-dots do not need to overlap, so you will only use about 1/2 the crust.
- Take truly flaky crust out of fridge, and sprinkle 1 TBSPN crust dust and 1 TSPN minute tapioca over prepared crust.
- Place peaches and their juices into truly flaky crust. Dot with 1 TBSPN cubed butter.
- Decorate top of peaches with polka dot crust cut-outs.
- Brush edges of pie and polka dot cut-outs with egg white wash, and sprinkle cut-outs with coarse white sugar.
- Bake at 425F for 20 minutes, then reduce to 375F. Cook until peaches and juice bubble and the polka dot cut outs are nicely browned (total time: 50-60mins). *If you notice your edges are browning too fast, take out mid-bake and cover edges with foil or silicone crust protector.
- Let cool and sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours before slicing!
- SUGAR. BUTTER. FLOUR!